Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Most Incredible Red Velvet Cupcakes...EVER!!!


(a post by Allen)

First of all, we must give credit where credit is due.  This post/recipe is derived from the Cake Mix Doctor's Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe.

 
So, when Mamaw Jean calls, you must answer.  You don't ignore the phone call.  You don't send it to voice mail.  And, you drop everything to fulfill whatever request is made.  A few years ago, on a   busy Christmas Eve, I was at work and noticed I had missed a call from Mamaw.  In a panic, I immediately checked my voice mail and there it was...the infamous voice mail message from Mamaw.  Now, before I reveal the content of the message, I must preface this by letting you know that I had not spoken to, nor heard from, my Mamaw in well over 2 weeks.  This message came (no lie) OUT OF THE BLUE.

Alright, here goes...

"Allen.  This is your grandmother.  I need three large gift bags." [CLICK]

It was Christmas Eve!  I had Christmas shopping to finish.  I had cookies to bake for Santa.  I had toys to put together for the kids.  I had Becky's family to visit.  What do you mean you need three...Yes, ma'am.
 
 

Guess who rushed to the store to buy three large gift bags and drove like a bat out of Hades to get to Louisville, TN.  Yep, you're right.  Me!
 
So, why am I bringing this up.  Well, I got another call from my precious, sweet, loving, adorable, "most-Christlike individual I have ever met" grandmother today.  Now, we all know my wife can cook.  Oh man, can she ever cook.  Mamaw Jean also knows this.  So this year, all Mamaw wants for Christmas is a teflon skillet (that's a different post) and Becky's Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese icing.
 
I wanted to share this recipe Becky came across.  I hope it blesses your, and your grandmother's, kitchen real soon.  It will change your life!  I promise!
  

Red Velvet Cupcakes

  • 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain German chocolate cake mix
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) chocolate instant pudding
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
  • 3 large eggs

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. 
  2. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined (similar to brownie batter...it's thick!)  Fill 24 cupcake tins with an ice cream scoop of batter.  
  3. Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. . Place them on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 2 blocks of cream cheese (room temp)
  • 2 sticks of butter (room temp)
  • 2lbs of Confectioners sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • splash of heavy whipping cream

  1. Cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
  2. Slowly add confectioners sugar and vanilla.
  3. After the sugar and vanilla is well incorporated add whipping cream until you have a pipe-able icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment