Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Homemade Christmas

(another post from Allen)

I drop Ethan off at school every morning.  This morning he asked me why "everybody" hangs Christmas lights on their houses.  If only he knew how people used to get in the Christmas spirit.  I informed him that when I was a child, you were frowned upon if your house didn't have Christmas lights.  Now, it seems to be the opposite.


Becky and I were married six years ago.  Our first Christmas was a nightmare.  I am Mr. Christmas.  I mean, our living room will always look like Dollywood at Christmas time.  Unfortunately, I gave no consideration for Becky's upbringing.  I am pro-colored lights.  She is not.  I am pro-artificial.  She likes to cut down then tree.  I am a November 1st kinda guy.  She likes to put away the turkey and dressing first.  In true Pruitt fashion, I took over.  Believe it or not, Becky has great ideas.  She is unbelievably creative.  She showed me there is another (and sometimes a better) way.  Okay, most of the time she has the better way.
Year 2 came around and it was a bit better.  We started a new Christmas tree tradition.  We began collecting Disney ornaments.  We collected everything from wooden puppets, to clown fish, cowboys, spacemen, dwarfs, spotted dogs, and every princess known to man.  We grew quite the collection.  However, it was never "ours".  It didn't feel like home.

That was, until this November.  We had a blast with this year's tree.  We have a homemade rustic Christmas tree,  every ornament either found in nature or handmade.  I have posted a slideshow for your enjoyment.

Christmas is about Christ.  It's about family.  It's about friends.  It's about love.  We incorporated all of those into this year's Christmas tree.  The boys had the opportunity to help us make ornaments, decorate, share stories, learn the reasons/purposes behind decorations, and spend time with mom and dad.  Becky and I spent some wonderful time together dreaming, creating, organizing, and implementing Christmas into OUR home this year.  It is, by far, the best Christmas tree we've ever had.  We will only build on it in coming years.


Merry Christmas from our home to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment