Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad!



Today is my Daddy's birthday!! 

I haven't blogged much about my Dad so I thought I'd take this opportunity to share with you a little bit about him. 

He's courageous-  He has spent almost all of his working life in law enforcement, and recently retired from his long standing position as Chief of Police in my hometown.  As if that were not enough the day after he retired he began working for the Sheriffs department and is teaching law enforcement classes at he local community college!  I can't imagine the amount of courage it takes to be willing to put your life on the line for the safety of someone else day after day.  I am scared of my shadow most of the time, and the slightest strange noise sends me into a panic so I greatly admire my daddy's courageousness. 

He's driven-  If he sets his mind to something trust and believe he will accomplish it.  His walls are lined with certificates, degrees, and awards and he's worked hard for all of them.  He is always working to better himself and doesn't settle with something that's "half-way" done.  His determination to see things through inspires me to do the same with my responsibilities. 

He's sarcastic-  We definitely share the same dry humor and sarcasm.  When we're around each other the conversation primarily consists of inside jokes, dry humor, and sarcastic remarks and I LOVE it. 

No condemnation-  I have not lived a perfect life and have made many mistakes.  Never once has he thrown my mistakes in my face, or made me pay for them over and over.  He always tried to show me the things he knew I struggled with and would always give me logical and loving advice for how to handle it.  Now, I didn't always (or ever) listen and when years of doing it my way almost killed me he lovingly and sternly stepped in and helped me get my life back together.  During that time he made me fix the things I screwed up, and made me be accountable for the poor choices I had made. He NEVER made me feel life a failure, and he NEVER threw those mistakes back in my face.  I was able to move forward with my life and would never be where I am today if He hadn't handled the situation like he did.  He gets me. 


I could continue on for a loooong time telling you all the wonderful qualities my dad has.  In an effort to conclude this blog (and get supper on the table) I'll end with this...

Happy Birthday Daddy!!!  You are a hero in my eyes and I love you so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment