Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Things I Don't Do

My Ma always taught me to never take a shortcut.  The long way is the best way.  Shortcuts lead to sloppy work is what she preached ALL the time.

I guess I turned out to be a defiant grandaughter because I'm known to take short cuts, and I'm all about the easy way out.  But only on occasion ;)

Examples-

1.  I don't dust my ceiling blade fans very much.  I get it in once a year-ish.  We have lived in our house for almost 3 years and I've cleaned the fans MAYBE 3 times.  We keep our fans going all the time.  At least 10 months out of the year.  Wanna know a secret??  No one can see the dust on your ceiling fan blades when you keep them running.  It's one of lifes greatest little perks.  Fan switch stays ON and dust bunnies become impossible to spot. 




2.  I can't sew.  My Mimi (great-grandmother) was a professional seamstress, my Ma can sew anything and everything, and Allen's grandmother can sew too.  I want to be just like them (for more reasons than sewing) so you'd think I'd be interested in learning.  I'm not.  I don't have room to put my sewing machine up, I'm totally fine with buying clothing vs. making it, and I always prick my fingers on the needle.  I just don't see sewing in my future.  I'm OK with that. 


3.  I don't iron.  If I had to pick between ironing a load of clothes or walking over hot coals barefooted I think I'd walk on the coals.  I can't stand ironing!  We have a few items that require ironing so Allen does it.  He's handy like that :)  I'm also really good at cranking the dryer back on for 10 mins to fluff the wrinkles out.  As long as it doesn't look like I've slept in my clothes I'm happy.  If I'm being REALLY honest I'm just happy if it's clean these days. 



4.  I don't make the bed every morning.  I wash our sheets once a week and the bed gets made then.  I'm all about keeping up appearances so I do make the bed if we have company coming over.  I have to many clothes to fold, mouths to feed, and bottles to wash to worry about making a bed I'm just going to crawl back into a few hours later.  




5.  I hardly ever handwash dishes.  If it can fit in the dishwasher...it goes in the dishwasher.  Sticking my hands in dishwater gives me the heebie jeebies and I avoid it at all costs.  Currently the only things that don't wind up in the dishwasher are bottle nipples, and my cast iron skillet.  I wash bottle nipples by hand because I don't want to give my sweet baby E-coli or some other horrific illness, and you're not allowed to put cast iron products in the dishwasher.  I learned the hard way what happens when you put cast iron in the dishwasher.  Opps.


These are a few of the daily chores I do not excel at.  There's more to this list but I can't air all my dirty laundry out at once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment